CPA Marketing: Understanding the Basics
By Greg Nunan
When it comes to Internet marketing, there are various different avenues you can pursue. CPA marketing is one of the most popular online marketing strategies out there, as you don’t need to necessarily make a sale in order to get a pay out. While the application process puts some people off, you shouldn’t let that stop you.
What is CPA marketing?
CPA marketing stands for “Cost Per Action” or “Cost Per Acquisition”.
This online marketing strategy is associated with affiliate marketing, however you do not need to necessarily make a sale in order to get paid. Publishers get paid when a user clicks on their affiliate link and completes a specific action.
So why would companies pay you, even if you do not make a sale? Well, the information you gather through these actions can be useful for companies as they can be for potential clients and customers. In other words, what you are giving companies is valuable leads.
Qualifying actions will be defined in the agreement and will relate to some type of conversion, such as:
- Submitting a form (registration, newsletter sign up, contact request)
- Making a qualifying purchase
- Taking a short survey
- Signing up to a free trial
- Getting an estimate or quote
Finding a CPA network to suit your needs
There are lots of different networks out there, including some that are great for CPA marketing beginners. Some of the top networks that are often recommended are:
Take a look at different networks and what they have to offer. You should consider the payout systems and promotional methods to make sure it’s something that suits you. Networks will have different commission types, minimum payments, payment methods and payment frequency. MaxBounty, for example, offer weekly payments, while others pay out Net-30 or Net-15.
While there are plenty of great networks you can join, there are also a few shady ones out there. Avoid getting ripped off by reading reviews of the networks you are thinking of joining. While you shouldn’t worry too much if there is the occasional bad review, you should steer well clear of the ones that have bad review after bad review. Stay away from networks that have a bad reputation for not paying out or making payment a hassle.
Joining CPA marketing networks
Since you do not need to make a sale in order to get money, CPA affiliate marketing is a very attractive prospect for those looking to make money online.
Of course, these networks tend to be stricter when allowing people to join than other types of affiliate networks.
Don’t let this put you off. CPA networks are stricter for a reason, as it helps to weed out the spammers and scammers our there. They’re not trying to make it difficult for the honest Internet marketers out there, they just want to make sure your business is legit and that you will send them real leads.
So, when it comes to joining CPA marketing networks, don’t let the application process stop you. You will typically have to fill out an application form, which includes giving basic details such as company/name, address and telephone number. Yes, they will be giving you a call, but it’s not a big deal. They just want to make sure you are who you say you are.
How to get accepted by CPA marketing networks
Brian Dean from Backlinko offers some helpful tips to help you get accepted by any network. When it comes to filling out the application form, be honest. That means if they ask you about your marketing experience and your monthly revenue, don’t lie. You don’t have to be one of the top experts in order to get accepted, so if you are new to the game, be open about it.
Instead of being afraid of taking the call, you should take the first step and give the network a call right after you fill out the application form. This just helps to show them that you are keen, genuine and will help them get actual leads. Having your own website with a domain email address might also help your chances of getting accepted, so you should try to set this up first.
Tips to maximize your earnings
In order to maximize your chances of getting a good return on your investment, there are a few things most Internet marketers suggest you do:
- Join multiple networks: Try joining as many different networks as you can. Not only will this give you a greater variety of advertising options, but it will also help you find the offers that make you the most money.
- Maintain a good relationship: Having a good relationship with you CPA network can offer you many benefits in the long run. You will typically have an affiliate manager, who will be your contact with the network. They will occasionally reach out with an email or a phone call – make the most of this relationship as it could lead to discounts or rewards for good performance.
- Ask for commission bumps: Having good relationship with your manager pays off as it can help you get more money from an offer. Make sure you regularly check out the competition, and if someone if offering something at a higher rate than you are currently receiving, ask your network if they can match it. You may even get a better deal out of it then the competitor’s offer.
- Diversify: Try out different areas for promoting your add. This could be via your website, social networking sites, emails, forums and offline promotions. The wider variety of sources, the more chance you have of bringing in money. Just be sure to check for any traffic types that are not allowed as you won’t get paid for that and you may even get banned.
Not that you understand the basics of CPA marketing, why not give it a shot? It can offer great returns, even more so than other types of affiliate marketing or Adsense. With plenty of advertising options and CPA marketing networks to join, there is something out there for everyone.